Thursday, December 17, 2009

Why can't I add an HP laserjet printer to my desktop PC?

I have tried several times to add a laserjet 6MP to my Intel Core 2 Duo Vista PC. It is connected via the parallel port on the printer through a parallel to USB adapter. It adds the icon in the printers folder but will not print a test page. I don't know if it is a driver problem but I have tried to find drivers but even HP don't have a downloadable driver because it says on the site that all necessary drivers are included in Vista. Can anyone help me to get my printer working again please? Thanks.Why can't I add an HP laserjet printer to my desktop PC?
have you installed the driver for the adapter


Why can't I add an HP laserjet printer to my desktop PC?
the problem is that yo re not connecting direct but via an adaptor. either connect via the USB on your computer to the USB (if its fitted) or the parallel to parallel or the ethernet to ethernet (if fitted).





the problem is that the driver for HP are dependant upon the connection used and interface convertors often cannot manage the full interface conversion.















Its probably due to the USB-parallel converter


I would simply buy a parallel port card for your desktop PC they should be pretty cheap


There may even be a motherboard header on your desktop, in which case you would simply need to cable up a parallel port to get it going
It could be a problem with bidirectional support.





Right click your printer, select properties


go to the ports tab, uncheck Enable bidirectional support. Restart the computer and printer





You may have to select the USB virtual printer port for HP LJ 6P/6MP Postscript, it should not be using LPT1, when you plug in the printer vista will detect it and load in the driver.









Here's a link toa web site I found that has the driver for your printer. First you have to uninstall the drivers you have already load on, then install the drivers from this web site. It should work, I just don't know what OS theses drivers are for. The site won't say other than it's for Windows.





http://www.softwarepod.com/14495-HP-Lase鈥?/a>
Some of the older printers will not load to XP or Vista we have a computer lab in our building and a lot of printer that are donated to use are to old cant get Drivers for them.
HELLO





DO YOU HAVE ANY OTHER PRINTER ICONS IN PRINTER FOLDER? IF SO YOU MUST SELECT THE PRINTER YOU WANT TO USE.


WHEN YOU CONNECT THE PRINTER DO YOU CLICK ON ADD PRINTER IN THE SAME FOLDER?





DO YOU REQUIRE A POWERED USB CONNECTOR?

No comments:

Post a Comment